We are very happy to say we have been nominated for the Sunshine Award 2018!
A big thank you for the nomination from Kate Carter at thetustingirl.com. If you haven’t done so already, please pop over and read her blog or follow her on twitter (@thetustingirl). Kate writes authoritatively about self-care and coaches others to improve their self-confidence.
Being nominated doesn’t mean we can sit back and relax. Kate has presented us with eleven self-reflection questions which we have answered below and we had to find eleven nominees of our own which you will find at the bottom of the post. Please make contact with them on twitter take a look at their excellent blogs
Here are our answers to Kate’s questions:
1) Why did you start the blog?
We had several reasons for starting a blog:
We are both fed up with the rat race and have investigated many ways to escape. This has led to some serious goal setting to downsize our lives by creating different income streams, enabling us to live on lower salaries and therefore, have less stressful jobs (see question 5 😊). The internet is the perfect tool to do this as it allows freedom of location and is not restricted to 9-5 hours.
Internet marketing was one way to go but it doesn’t take long to realise that trying to do this quickly results in poor content, quality of products or articles and can lead to a bad reputation online. We don’t want to make money at other people’s expense and therefore, wanted to create a useful resource, with a positive spin that others will genuinely find useful. We know that this will be a long journey. As the other bloggers nominated will know, quality articles with a unique angle take a lot of research and time to produce.
We wanted to pick a subject area that we were both knowledgeable about but that would provide continuous learning. We chose wellbeing as subject we are both interested in and can contribute to. Cath has a PhD in Psychology and a keen interest in Mental Health, as well as first-hand experience of the effects of stress and anxiety. I have a keen interest in martial arts and eastern philosophies. We are both passionate about nature and outdoor pursuits and have in recent years begun to really understand the positive effects these factors can have on us as humans.
We believe blogging will increase our own knowledge of the subject area, and if we get it right, will provide a useful resource for others. One day it may create a small income stream that will help us with the downsizing plan.
2) What is your favourite way to unwind and relax?
After a long week at work in front of a computer screen nothing beats getting outside in a wide-open space and enjoying nature’s wonders. We often take long walks at weekends with a flask and a picnic. Even in the UK, you don’t have to go far to find peace and quiet away from the city and traffic. Other than that, any form of physical activity greatly improves our mental wellbeing. Cath loves going on a long run followed by a hot bath (with a good book and cheeky glass of wine).
3) What would your ideal job be?
For me (Steve) if I hadn’t followed a career path in engineering it would have been Marine Biology. Unfortunately, the career office at school didn’t raise this as an option and the Discovery Channel hadn’t been …discovered when I was leaving school.
For Cath it would be something physical (and outdoorsy) like a Ski Instructor.
However, our ultimate goal is not to have jobs, but to create income streams from various projects of our own.
4) What is your favourite film and why?
As a typical male I like any action film and it’s cheesy but I still love the Karate Kid. The Mr Miyagi character is great, and everyone wants to see the bullies get what’s coming to them.
For Cath, it is ‘The 40-Year Old Virgin’ (some would say this is also a typically male film!) because it is hilarious but has a sweet underlying message.
5) Which option would you pick between having a good, stable job with a good pay or doing something you love for very little money?
Well, as with the choice of career above it has until now been the stable job, but our goals have changed. We are realising that doing something that makes you happy is more important than a big salary.
6) Where would you most love to live and why?
The idyll would be to have property overlooking the sea but somewhere warm and sunny even in winter would be perfect. We haven’t found the actual location yet, but we are working on it.
7) What is your biggest fear?
For both of us it would be looking back on life and regretting things we haven’t done because we were afraid to take the risk.
8) What has been your biggest struggle, to date, with your blog?
The biggest challenge is trying to find a different perspective on a popular topic area. Wellbeing is a well-covered sector on the internet. We hope that the two of us tackling topics from different angles will provide interesting and informative posts for people to read.
9) Which quality do you admire most in people and why?
(Steve) Honesty matched with the right level of diplomacy, as we all benefit from feedback, but it doesn’t need to be brutal.
(Cath) Kindness, we should treat others as we would like to be treated.
10) Which famous person (alive or dead) would you most like to be like and why?
(Steve) I have never really idolised anyone. I had posters of cars on the wall not pop stars or famous people. However, I do admire explorers and would like to have lived a life of exploration like Sir Ranulph Feinnes.
(Cath) Mrs Maisel (The Marvelous Mrs Maisel) for her can-do positive attitude.
11) What is your goal for 2018?
Our goal is to consistently write useful articles for the blog and build up our audience organically.
Our nominees for the Sunshine Award are:
The 4 Rules:
- Thank blogger (s) who nominated you for the blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award Logo in your post and / or blog!
The 11 Questions for our nominees are:
- What do you enjoy most about writing a blog?
- What makes you happiest?
- If you were an animal what would you be?
- Where is your favourite place on earth?
- What motivates you?
- What is your favourite season and why?
- Have you read a book that has changed your life?
- What is the best advice you could give someone for maintaining a balanced and happy life?
- What would you miss the most if you were stranded on a desert island ?
- If you had to give up chocolate or alcohol which would it be (assuming you didn’t write chocolate and alcohol as the answer to qu. 2 😊)?
- Where do you want to be in 5 year’s time?